Recipe: Lavender Biscotti
Lavender is a versatile culinary herb and has been used for cooking and medicinally for over 2,500 years! If you’ve never used Lavender flowers for baking, why not try it now? It’s easy and you’ll love the results – not to mention enjoying the compliments of friends and family!
LAVENDER BISCOTTI RECIPE:
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. dried lavender blossoms
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted melted butter
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt
- Beat sugar and lavender blossoms together (either manually chop lavender flowers finely or use a food processor for this step)
- Add eggs to the sugar and lavender flower mixture
- Beat until it thickens – usually about 2 minutes
- Beat in butter, lemon zest, & vanilla
- Slowly add flour mixture
- Blend with a wooden spoon until well mixed to a soft, sticky dough
- Divide dough in half, then take one half of the dough and place it on a parchment-lined cookie sheet
- Shape into a log about 10-inch long and 3 inches wide.
- Repeat with the second half of the dough on a second lined cookie sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes or till crisp and golden but don’t over bake – make sure that the center is still soft
- Remove from oven
- Reduce oven heat to 300 degrees F.
- Allow logs to cool for 10 minutes
- Slice logs with a serrated knife into 1/2 inch slices
- Put slices with the cut side up on the cookie sheets and bake another 15 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- Remove cookies and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container and eat within two weeks. Serve with tea or coffee.