Gardening, like anything else, is easier when you have the right tools and know the right short cuts.
Here are a few tips that you’ll find make your life easier and make gardening more fun:
- Don’t like wearing gloves when you garden? No problem. Take a bar of soap and run your fingernails into it so that you have soap on and under the nails. You can now put your hands in the dirt without having to scrub it out from under your fingernails for hours afterwards. If you’re gardening with bare hands, invest in some heavy duty gardener’s hand cream to moisturize them afterwards so they don’t get rough and hard.
- Use the water left over when you steam your vegetables and pour it onto your pot plants. It’s full of nutrients and plants love it.
- Save your coffee grinds and tea bags! Dig them into your flower beds – plants love coffee grinds! Hydrangeas, Rhododendrons and other acidic loving plants benefit greatly.
- Got bugs? Little pests like aphids can be blasted off plants with a spray of water. Just be sure not to break the plant. Or you can pick them off with sticky tape or masking tape. It’s gross but it works!
- Put your wheelbarrow to work when you’re potting. Put a plank across the top of the wheelbarrow and rest the plants on the plank along with your tools. In the wheelbarrow put your potting mix. Voila! A mobile potting table!
- Use a mixture of vinegar and water to do clean up outside. Whether it’s garden tools or crusty terracotta pots, this mixture is eco-friendly and works like a charm!